Saturday, October 8, 2011

Two Tickets to Paradise

I've got two tickets to paradise, 
Won't you pack your bags, we'll leave tonight…

Haven’t you heard stories, on the news or maybe even read about people who just disappear? Someone might go to work then never come home. Or maybe it’s time to go to the store or school and that’s the last time you’re seen. Some, I know, fall victim to mean people who kidnap or kill then hide the bodies. Some are in bad situations and have help to vanish so they can live. Some are just people who don’t want to be where, or who, they are anymore.

Surely it’s crossed your mind. What if you just kept driving? What if instead of getting on the plane and coming back to reality you decide just to stay wherever you are and start another life? What if? What if?

I’ll admit it’s crossed my mind. I wouldn’t mind just being somewhere else. Maybe just for a day or even a week. Or maybe just being someone else. Sometimes I just want to go where there are no worries and no cares. Paradise.
 

Out of curiosity I did a search on the Internet. There are actually instructions on how to just fade away, vanish, without a trace. No records, no identification, no history. Is that how people do it? What would it feel like to have no history? No background? Probably wouldn’t be much fun. Or maybe it would be a lot of fun. Who knows? 

Really, I have nothing to complain about. I have a good life, but it’s been one of ‘those’ weeks. Wait…I mean months. I’m ready to go. Where is Paradise? I don’t know. But I have two tickets. Would you like to join me?  

I'm gonna take you on a trip so far from here, 
I've got two tickets in my pocket, now baby, we're gonna disappear. 
We've waited so long, waited so long.  

I made a Citron a while back. Probably a long while back since I tend to make and not block things. It was small and I was a little disappointed but I dug it out and decided to block it to see if I could make it bigger. I wet it and pinned it out and decided I’m a sloppy blocker. It stretched but the Citron is supposed to have these little puckers and I stretched some of the puckers. It’s still not big but it’s okay. It looks fine folded up like a scarf, too.
In progress
Back of Citron
Kind of cute as a scarf!
I am in awe of the people who stretch things out meticulously. I don’t have the patience. Actually I think I don’t have the knowledge. That would involve measuring and math, both of which I’m not fond. But it’s done now, even with the ends worked in!
Half-a** blocking. And it's not red, more maroon and pink and brown!

I’m ready for it to be fall. I like the colors and I found a little felted bag I made out of some yarn from our trip to Vermont a couple of years ago. It will be perfect for keys, I.D. and such when you just need a couple of things. It will fit inside a bigger bag then I’ll have what I need but I won’t have to carry all of it everywhere.
Felted bag. Fall colored yarn!
And finally, I’m almost through with the Halloween blankie for the littles. It’s not big either but it will be fun. I made some giant hairy spiders out of old chenille yarn I had hanging around. They have a buttonhole so they can be buttoned on to things. I had some odd orange buttons so I sewed them to the blanket and buttoned the spiders on. That way they can take those off if they want and play with them! I still need to make two or three more spiders and it will be done.
Hairy spider! Tarantula or Black Widow?
Halloween blankie for the Littles!

I think I’ll go pack. Some clothes, some yarn and I’m set!
 
Got a surprise especially for you, 
Something that both of us have always wanted to do. 
We've waited so long, waited so long. 
Won't you pack your bags, we'll leave tonight, 
I've got two tickets to paradise…

5 comments:

  1. A person after my heart - someone else who doesn't get to the final finishing of blocking, etc. I love the Halloween blanket; and the spiders are just perfect. Totally enjoyed your Two Tickets - I've often thought about what it would be like to just keep going when in the car; not because anything is wrong, but just because. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy reading your blog. It always makes me think.Love the citron! And the little bag...I think I'll try one of those....and the blanket for the grands is super cute. They'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love!!!!! How is that precious blankie made? I can't tell from the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great. Now if somebody *does* steal you and sell you to the Russian vodka cartels, the police aren't going to take us seriously because CSI will come and search your computer and see that you searched "how to disappear." So, there needs to be some sort of code word so we know whether we need to come look for you or not! :)

    And I love the spiders on the blanket! That is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice knitting!! You are very talented.

    I liked the fact that there are disappearing instructions on the internet, I've never thought to look there :)

    ReplyDelete